Wednesday 29 April 2009

Week Four. Grey matter unchallenged




Oh, The Moomins, how I love The Moomins. I treated myself to one of the comic strip compilations last weekend. Just reading it is enough to make me feel happy and I keep getting the urge to get my crayons and colour in the pictures. Crayoning (tongue between teeth, nose on the paper - remember that ?) has to be one of lifes' great escapes.


My mother lent me The Sisters who would be Queen by Leanda de Lisle about the machinations of the Tudor court. Women were pawns, even the best educated and most independant, in a game played by their male relations. I am looking forward to this, probably reading it at the same time that I watch David Starkey analysing Henry VIII. (Therefore not getting the best of either but needs must)


Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey. Another recommendation from Lucy Fishwife. Only started it this morning, but has every chance of being a cracking read. If you enjoy mentally casting films this would be a great book to do. The character development and their physical appearance are clearly described but still there is space for your own imagination. Better yet, Josephine Tey left her estate to the National Trust so they get all profits from every book sold, a new interpretation of a novel for the beach ?


Such a Long Journey by Rohnton Mistry. A slow gentle progression, like unravelling knitting, but there is an sad and sinister undercurrent, each page you turn there is the feeling "something bad is going to happen, is it now ? Please don't let it be now." You yearn for peace for the family. You know it isn't going to happen.


Poppyland by Raffaela Barker. The first books of hers that I read seemed like grown up chick lit (which is not meant to sound derogatory, we all need to fall into easy reading sometimes) but this book seems much bleaker. Her early books felt like the Norfolk where you go on holiday, bright and fun, this one is more like Norfolk in early Spring, bleak and although you hope things will cheer up, you are not certain they will. Lovely descriptions and some wonderful observations on the worst elements of love.

And these ? These are what I am meant to be reading. I think it is going to have to be revision by osmosis.

7 comments:

Titian red said...

Just noticed Brat Farrer get a double mention, as it is on last weeks list. Just didn't find the time to open it. Can't wait to retire (or give my bank manager the slip. If the banks can write off losses of millions why can't they write off mine ?)

Potty Mummy said...

Tag - you're it! (And my word verificationf for this comment is clist. Oh, how cruel (and how apposite...)

justme said...

I LOVE brat Farrer....and indeed ALL Josephine Tey. Miss Pym Disposes. my fave.

Katherine said...

OOooo will be straight on to The Sister Who Would be Queens, I have a real interest in the Tudor period; Tudor court is fascinating; love all the politics and power play, cut throat (literally, I suppose, but honestly didn't mean it like that). I'm with you re: Raffaella Barker. I read her chick lit(ish) ones and honestly thought they were ok but very light in a "summer beach read" style. Come and Tell Me Some Lies was good (but it's a long time since I've looked at it. I'm onto The Dud Avocado next, I re-read it every year or so (an easy read but I feel it has substance).

WV is hothel; is that a combination of a hotel and a brothel!! Where do they get them from??!!

katyboo1 said...

I too love the Moomins and treated myself to the first comic book. Haven't actually managed to open it yet, but it is shiny and full of promise.

Love Josephine Tey. Haven't read Brat Farrer in years. My favourite of hers is Daughter of Time. Wonderful book.
xx

Diablo 3 items said...

Amazing perform. As well as incredible choice of methods to function... Fantastic!!

cheap fut coins said...

That's great. Many thanks with regard to discovering this. A few great suggestions presently there, this particular will probably be a genuine period kitchen sink. I'm the the far east visit enthusiast,

lol代练
FIFA 15 Coins